Insuring Boats, ATVs, RVs, and more

Published by crgservices on

You never know what can happen on the water or on a trail in the backwoods. So, no matter if you have a simple 16-foot fishing boat or an entire outbuilding filled with “toys”, it is important you have the proper insurance. Protecting your toys from damage is only part of it. There is also a liability exposure that must be insured. Here’s what you need to know about insuring boats, ATVs, RVs, and more.


Let’s first distinguish a few different types of boats, specifically where the motor is located. A boat with an outboard motor means the motor is completely visible in the back of the boat, whereas an inboard motor is hidden in the center of the boat. A hybrid of the two (inboard/outboard) typically has only the propeller visible from the back of the boat.

There are a couple of different ways to insure a boat. The first way is to simply schedule the boat on a home policy. Generally, a homeowners policy will automatically extend liability to an outboard boat (given that it meets the carrier’s requirements). Inboard and inboard/outboard boats will need to be endorsed onto the policy to extend coverage. If physical damage coverage is needed, that will need to be endorsed on to all types of boats. Be sure to check with your agent about insuring the trailer used to tow the boat as well.

The other way to insure your boat is for your agent to write a separate boat policy. If insuring this way, your agent can pick and choose different coverages to be included or left off of the policy.


Insured very similarly and often on the same policy as a boat, are jet-skis and wave-runners. These can also be endorsed onto a home policy like boats, or written on their own policy.

ATVs/UTVs and Snowmobiles

Typically classified as “Powersports” ATVs, UTVs, and snowmobiles are insured very similarly to an auto policy. Insurance carriers generally will group this class of recreational vehicles together onto one policy. Depending on the carrier, you may also be able to endorse them onto your home policy.

RVs and Travel Trailers

Different types of RVs and travel trailers are insured differently than others. The first type is your standard stand-alone RV. It is a vehicle by itself and is driven instead of being towed. The next type is a pull-behind trailer or camper. Last, is a camper that loads in the bed of a pickup truck.

Insuring the stand-alone RV is just like insuring another vehicle. It is usually on a separate policy and includes liability coverage and deductibles. The pull-behind camper is insured just like a normal trailer. Liability coverage is automatically included with the vehicle it is being pulled by (given the vehicle is insured), and physical damage can be added if needed. A camper that loads in the bed of a truck also has liability coverage automatically extended from the vehicle it is loaded on. Again, physical damage coverage can be added if requested.

The tricky part about insuring RVs is whether there are any attachments that aren’t generally considered a part of the original vehicle/trailer. This could include awnings, bike racks, solar panels, etc. Be sure to let your agent know of any attachments or improvements you’ve made to the RV or trailer to make sure they are covered properly.

Trusted Agency

It is important to have fun in life. While you’re having fun out on your boat, ATV or RV, leave the insurance aspect to your local CRG agent. We can create a customized package for all of your insurance needs while keeping the prices in line with your budget. So, instead of worrying about what type of policy you need to insure your new toy, give your agent a quick call and go out and enjoy.